Pages

The spread of misinformation in America on its peak as 2021 brings a loss of $30 Billion through scam calls

The spread of misinformation keeps rising due to the pandemic as more and more people either become subjected to believing false information or in this case, get scammed. The uncertainty of Covid-19 and what it brings has captured people in shackles of fear and predators feast on this opportunity by feeding the most devious lies.

While Facebook, YouTube, and similar platforms are taking strict measures to reduce the abundance of such rumors, there is little we can do about spam calls to overcome the issue. Getting to counter rumors on social media platforms also isn't a difficult task but countering scam calls? Seems Impossible.

While the whole world turned to online businesses for profit, many continued making losses while not even looking for any opportunity. Scam callers resorted to faking Amazon and Apple employees, looking for charity. This way, they managed to extort around $502 per person. The scam callers even took advantage of the vaccination process and launched some bogus vaccine surveys.

Although there is little that individuals can do to protect themselves, the government has issued quite some policies to combat the case of spams and scams but it all comes down to the network companies. Only they can truly target and block off these hoarders.

The popular calling service, Truecaller published a report, declaring around $30 billion dollars were lost to these callers. The targeted Americans amount up to 59.49 million with a loss of around $500 each. Although this is what Truecaller reported, we estimate the real ratio might be a little higher. Indeed spam callers are having quite a feast due to the pandemic.

This criminal wave has managed to catch 3 million more victims than last year. The amount lost has increased by 1/3rd percent and $151 have been extorted additionally when compared to 2021. Out of these 59% of the people were robbed off the name of the pandemic, claiming they needed money for some Covid related charity or such. The rest of the 41% were subjected to regular mischief.

The surprising discovery is that this time around the victims weren't the cat ladies or the oldies, in fact they were young and middle-aged adults, majorly men. It was recently concluded that older people are much more likely to become targets of cybercrime but not spam calls hence proved in his case.

It was shown through Truecaller that 46% of the men aged 35-44 were phone-scammed last year while 40% of the men aged 18-34 were also victims. Women made up 31% with predominant ages being 18 to 34.

Although these spams cannot be stopped, being aware and secure might help a bit so beware and be alert at all times.

Read next: Why You Should Never Interact With Spam Communication, Even to Unsubscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment