Pages

Apple Now "Splits the Market" with Android with 50% New Smartphone Activations in the US, CIRP Report Reveals

As per a new report released by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP), Apple and Google are approaching parity when it comes to new smartphone buyers in the US. The findings suggest that during the second quarter of 2021, Android and iOS were each responsible for 50% of new smartphone activations.

While the percentage of new activations for both Apple and Android phones is almost equal, it actually is a big win for Apple. For many years now, Android has usually accounted for 60% of new smartphone activations in the US. Apple’s share, on the other hand, had only been 40% all this time.

However, in Q2 2021, iOS finally managed to catch up to Android. According to CIRP co-founder Mike Levin, the main factors behind this are loyalty and switching. Interestingly, iOS has been edging out Android in terms of loyalty and switching for the last few years.

Mike stated that not only is Apple gaining loyalty in the market but that it’s doing so with minimal switching. During the last quarter, Apple witnessed 93% of its smartphone owners upgrading to a new iPhone. On the other hand, 88% of Android users decided to keep owning an Android phone.

Also, iOS has racked up almost five percentage points in loyalty over the years, while Android hasn’t witnessed a noticeable jump. And that’s how Apple was eventually able to secure more new smartphone activations.

The split of new smartphone activations between Apple and Android for Q2 over the last five years will show you how iOS finally caught up.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has been dedicating extra attention to loyalty and switching for several years now, by rolling out new features that help Android users easily switch to iPhones.

Cook revealed during an Apple earnings call earlier this year that iPhone 12 recorded the largest number of upgrades in Apple’s history.


Read next: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Gives Millions For His Security In Lockdown As Well

No comments:

Post a Comment