An Overview of Major Personal Tech Brands (infographic)

It seems strange to think that not all that long ago personal tech was the kind of thing that was only conceived of on paper and could not be brought into the mainstream. Now, however, people have a wide range of personal tech devices that are all connected to one another, and perhaps the most important piece of personal tech that anyone would end up owning is the smartphone with most other pieces of tech being secondary or supplementary to such devices in some way, shape or form.

The global smartphone market is being utterly dominated by China, although this is in large part due to Huawei, which has a 20% share of the global market, being the smartphone manufacturer of choice for nearly half of China’s massive population. Samsung has an equal market share of 20%, and this company’s more global focus might make it the biggest player in this particular field and since it also hails from East Asia this shows just how much that region has started to dominate the smartphone industry as a whole.

While Apple has a very significant 14% market share, at the same time Chinese companies like Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo and Lenovo have a combined total market share of 20% meaning that 40% of the most significant smartphone manufacturers in the world are Chinese with South Korea following behind closely, other smaller companies making up 16% of the total share and the only American company on the list being Apple with its 14%.

With all of that having been said and out of the way, it is important to note that while American companies do not have much of a share when it comes to smartphone brands, what’s in these smartphones is still largely an American affair with Google’s Android enjoying 74% of the global market and iOS possessing 25% which means almost total dominance of smartphone operating systems by American companies. Samsung and the exciting new KaiOS from Hong Kong have shares of 0.2% and 0.1% respectively which are significant enough to mention but not quite enough to mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Internal hardware is also dominated by American companies although to a lesser extent. Qualcomm and Apple have a 29% and 13% share respectively for a total of 42%. China’s arch nemesis Taiwan manages to make a pretty huge splash here too with its Mediatek enjoying a 26% market share closing in on Qualcomm’s dominance and potentially leading to a rebalancing of the scales in this regard.

Huawei’s Hisilicon and independent Chinese chipset manufacturer Unisoc have a 16% and 4% share of the global market respectively for a total of 20%, meaning that China is still in the game here although Taiwan’s greater success in this area would prove to be irksome for the ever competitive nation. Samsung manages to make a mark here as well with 13% of the global chipset market, rounding off the South Korean company's undeniable influence in the world of personal tech.

Visualized: A Snapshot of the Global Personal Tech Market - infographic

H/T: VC.

No comments:

Post a Comment