Are men over presented in news stories on Facebook?

A new study from the Pew Research Center found that images of men are more preferred in the news stories posted on Facebook. In fact, the research found that more than half of the faces in photos that accompany links from new outlets have pictures of men.

Researchers at Pew assessed images from 17 U.S. based national news outlets and stated that the male faces were far more prevalent than women’s were.

The news outlets covered by Pew included ABC News, CBS News, Fox News, CNN, BuzzFeed News, USA Today, Yahoo, Newsweek, and similar others. Their research team identified 53,067 individuals in news posts on Facebook where women made up 33 percent while the men comprised the other 67 percent.

In another research, the team analyzed 22,342 Facebook posts with photos containing human faces. They found that more than 50 percent of them exclusively showed men while 22 percent showed exclusively women.

Apparently, the male ratio in the news-based industry has always been higher. For example, the U.S. Congress has around a quarter of female representatives. Similarly, the female athletes receive only four percent attention from the media.


Other insights found by the Pew Research team include:

· In economy-based posts, 9% of news that includes people have women in them compared to 69% of images that show exclusively men.

· Posts related to entertainment show 27% of news photos to exclusively show women while the men comprised around 42 percent of the times in the total images depicted.

Follow up on the full study on the official site of Pew Research Center here.

Read next: Social Media Demographics By the Numbers [Infographic]

Post updated on May, 30, 2019 to correct some stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment