Those days have passed when owning a mere website was sufficient for promoting your business products and services. Today, irrespective of the amount of time and effort that you put into creating the website, failure to make your content accessible can make you lose valuable clients/customers. If you surf the internet, you'll come across hundreds and thousands of best websites that are equipped with content that looks great on every mobile device and platform. It is purely the mobile optimization of your content that enables you to reach out to a wider group of audiences.
Well, it actually sounds crazy to create individual content strategies for each and every device or platform that your website targets. Before you fret anymore, here's a solution that will ensure your content is publishable and easy-to-access on every device available today - Development of a mobile content strategy. Continue reading this post as I'll be throwing some light on the growing significance of building a mobile content strategy for assuring that your content looks stunning, is 100% readable and understandable on smartphones and tablets as it is on the typical desktops.
What exactly is a Mobile Content Strategy?In today's mobile world where clients prefer accessing websites via their smartphones and tablets, ignoring the on-time mobile-optimization of your website's content is a complete “No”. It is here that the development of a mobile content strategy has a unique role to play. Whether it's designing a flexible content structure using components like titles, categories, captions and images or just ensuring that your look looks good on smartphones/tablets and desktops, a well-planned mobile content strategy will make your content a lot more flexible and immensely accessible.
Here's a closer look at the different ways of optimizing your content for mobile:
1. Understand the way in which mobile audience will access your contentWell, it is quite essential for you to analyze and understand how the mobile audience for your content would be accessing your text. This can be done by studying the kind of devices that they are using, the total time that they are spending on your website, the kind of content they're consuming and the actions they're taking while using your site. All these details would aid you in tailoring your content to fit the expectations of the mobile users.
2. Re-think about the formatting partThere's no denying the fact that space is too limited in a mobile device (either a smartphone or a tablet) but it is essential to ensure that the overall formatting isn't compromised for the same. You can proceed ahead with eliminating some elements that are included within the desktop design content. Some of these are the captions and the visible tags. Moreover, you should also pay special attention to other elements like accessible links, large font, bold color schemes, clean layout etc.
3. Summaries can add the “wow” effect into your contentMobile users are very impatient and hence prefer scanning instead of going through each and every line within a particular piece of content. Hence, it is a good idea to include a summary of your article/blog, explaining the purpose of the write-up in addition to the details that can turn useful for the readers. A compelling summary can serve as the right tool for encouraging the readers to read the rest of the write-up to the fullest.
4. Don't confuse a mobile content strategy with responsive designWhile responsive design is the web design that focuses on ensuring that a website responds well to a huge collection of mobile devices including smartphones and tablets, a mobile content strategy focuses on making the website content easy-to-access and easy-to-understand for the mobile readers. To sum it up, responsive design is simply an approach within an entire mobile strategy, and not about content.
5. Incorporate media files (audio, video, infographics, animations etc.) into your contentThe monotony of operating text-based website is over. Today, the internet has offered us the ability of sharing the best media with a simple swipe of the finger. While making your content ready for the mobile, do ensure to equip the same with appealing media like video, infographics, animations etc. Doing this will help you in ensuring a fresh and contemporary tone for your content.
6. Ensure to be as concise as possible
Infographic courtesy of: Vertical Leap.
The use of keywords, sensible sub-headings and bulleted lists is something that will enable you to cut down the count of words in your content. Do remember, mobile users are turned “On” with short content and would refrain from consuming lengthy articles/blog posts. Therefore, it is advised to include just the most important piece of information, removing all the unnecessary details from your content.
Wrapping UpFuture belongs to the smartphones and tablets. Therefore, as you develop content for your website/app, don't forget to pay special heed to ensuring its mobile-friendly status. I'm sure the information furnished in the above post would aid you in framing your content, keeping the mobile devices in mind.
My name is Andrey. I am a web developer in Xicom Technologies - A Software Development Company with multi-talented app developers for hire. If you loved the topic, do share and comment. Also, you can follow me on Twitter for more updates.