Study shows thoughtful PC upgradation can reduce carbon footprint

According to the recent report by Nexthink, organizations can now reduce greenhouse gas emissions and contribute to their environment in plenty of ways. They can easily reduce at least 695 kg of carbon dioxide emission in a week just by instructing and training their employees about sharp computing practices and avoiding applications that heavily emit CO2.

Nowadays the most important concern for enterprises has been the development of a more sustainable workplace as it also increases employee productivity, but as many Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives highlight and mainly emphasize minimizing plastic consumptions and paper waste, they fail to notice the tremendous emissions by their computer hardware and electric equipment and machinery used every single day. For instance, by analyzing 3.5 million computers, it was found that 34% of computers required more than 5 minutes to completely start. This time required to load is equal to the release of about 450 tons of carbon dioxide each year. Organizations should take little steps, such as updating software frequently, shutting down computers when they’re not in use, and avoiding unnecessary uses, in order to minimize greenhouse gas emissions as well as operating costs and increase employee productivity.

Many companies replace their old software with a new one after some years, despite its useability, and this recent report actually highlights this common trend. The research revealed that 20% of the computers analyzed were still operating well which means they don’t need to be changed. Among the remaining 80% of the computers that had low-yield and unsatisfactory performance, 2% were irreparable and useless, while the rest of the 98% could be fixed by updating RAM or by increasing their startup performance.

Boot up or let’s just say start up time of a PC is also a main aspect of consideration. Surprisingly, the longer the device takes to turn on, the more carbon dioxide it is expected to emit. Yearly, 450 tons of carbon dioxide is emitted by the electronics that require more than 5 minutes to start, which is equal to 50,636 gallons of gasoline. This excess can be avoided if one has knowledge and clarity about the device they’re using, an understanding of how to use the device, and having a proactive approach to frequent technical problems.

Mainly, lack of knowledge and awareness about usage and problems of the computer gives rise to excessive carbon release and lower computing pace. The research shows that online games, electronic communications, and social broadcasting applications, altogether, produce 33 tons of carbon dioxide outflow each year. To see it from a different point of view, it would require 300 green plants to completely absorb these emissions in one year.

Nexthink’s report mainly revolves around the data gathered from 3.5 million unknown computers to analyze how IT leaders over the globe can minimize the negative impacts their company may have on the climate and also reduce costs along with enhancing working experience.

Read next: Governments Are Causing Environmental Damage By Destroying SSDs
Previous Post Next Post