Here are 10 movies every social media geek will love:
1. The Social NetworkWith widespread acclaim from the Academy Awards to the Golden Globes and more, this biographical drama film from 2010 about the founding of Facebook is a must see.
2. The MatrixKeanu Reeves leads this landmark science fiction film about a computer programmer and his experiences in a dystopian future in “The Matrix.” Can you imagine the SM surrounding this movie if FB, Twitter, Snapchat and more was around in 1999? It would be a social media fantasy!
3. Network (1976)This late 70s American satire film is timeless. Speaking on the many issues around entertainment and television, in particular, the New York Times called it, “wickedly distorted views of the way television looks, sounds, and, indeed, is…not just of television but also of the society that supports it and is, in turn, supported."
4. Me and You and Everyone We KnowWinning the Caméra d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival, “Me and You and Everyone We Know” is a romantic comedy led by Miranda July, an amateur video artist that tackles online chatting, sex, art, and the complicated dynamics of human relationships.
5. We Live in PublicThis 2009 Sundance Grand Jury Prize winner is a documentary focusing on internet pioneer Josh Harris. A bit of a social media Nostradamus, Harris imagined people living their lives on the Web. This pull-no-punches documentary details his efforts in New York City including how he followed volunteers with webcams and examined his own life with surveillance cameras.
6. CatfishAn intimate documentary about a Facebook romance that spawned the word “catfishing” had commercial success and critical acclaim and led to the MTV reality TV series, Catfish: The TV Show.
7. Chef (2014)
Jon Favreau, the director of “Iron Man,” wrote, directed and starred in this movie with Scarlett Johansson, Dustin Hoffman, and Robert Downey, Jr. After an online Twitter battle that leads to him losing his job as a prestigious chef, he has to start over— eventually getting saved by the social media platform that ruined him in the first place.