"Throughout 2014, there have been many milestones in social media advertising. In this infographic, shift blog has compiled a highlight reel for digital marketers to look back on the most notable moments from these social platforms including acquisitions, earnings, new advertising capabilities and more."
From the giants like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube to disruptors like Snapchat and Pinterest, check out the biggest news 2014 brought to social media and advertising.
Some key highlights:
- Feb 2014, Facebook: Announces WhatsApp acquisition.
- May 2014 Pinterest: First test round of promoted pins launches in U.S.
- June 2014, YouTube: Launches Creator Studio app.
- August 2014, Twitter: Announces promoted video ads, tweet activity dashboard and objective-based campaigns. Ad program expands in the EMEA.
- October 2014: LinkedIn: Q3 reaches $268 million in revenue, 332 million users.
- December 2014: Instagram: Tops 300 million active users. Introduces 5 new filters.