Once a user’s private info in obtained, it is then sent to ‘Unimania’ - a third-party company. Reportedly, it sells data to others for cash.
According to the security expert, following are 4 foul Chrome extensions:
- Album & Photo Manager (more than 92,000 users)
- PDF Merge – PDF Files Merger (more than 125,000 users)
- Pixcam – Webcam Effects (more than 31,000 users)
- Video Downloader for Facebook (more than 170,000 users)
The aforementioned extensions comprise a total of whopping 420,000 users.
Soon after Google discovered Meshkov’s findings, it [reportedly] detached all the nasty extensions from Google Chrome store.
Meshkov has recommended the following to all Chrome users:
- If you don’t trust a specific develop, never download anything made by him
- Conduct your own research regarding a certain developer
Image Source: TheSun